Pages

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Fauna Friday: Gecko edition

Another lizard post?! Seriously?? Are you trying to drive away all your readers??” you’re probably thinking.

And even if you aren’t, I certainly am.

Because between the chameleon, the agama, and especially the skink (YZG’s literary masterpiece, notwithstanding), I’m pretty sure that I’ve more than exceeded my allotment of lizard posts.

Yet, nevertheless, in the interest of good blogging, I feel that I have no choice but to share a picture* of a gecko (i.e. a sh’mamit - שממית - for the Hebraically-oriented among you).

IMG_2635As always, click on the picture* for a closer view.

Why a gecko, you ask?

Well, admittedly, geckos aren’t cute (in a reptilian sort of way) and don’t live in national parks and aren’t even compellingly creepy.

But if you happen to be visiting TRLEOOB** and you hear a Shiputzim daughter screech hysterically, “Abba! There’s a lizard in the playroom!” – chances are, the lizard in question will turn out to be a gecko…

smile_teeth

!שבת שלום ומבורך

_____________

*I apologize for the grainy shot, but that’s what comes from having a blog with an AWOL Chief of Photography… ;-)

**TRLEOOB=the real life equivalent of our blog

5 comments:

  1. No need to apologize for liking lizards. You should try posting one of these mini reptiles to Nature Notes... you may find someone who likes lizards and loves relaying lizard logistics.

    I still have memories of lizards crawling on walls from my first trip to Israel in 1980. It wasn't exactly comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geckos have attained some popularity, at least as far as the Geico gecko. See http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acCfnwTpdxU

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think he's perfectly adorable! And what big, shiny eyes :)

    I personally like lizards in my house - I like to think that they'll eat the mosquitos.

    ReplyDelete
  4. We've had our fair share of geckos, too. Let us know if you've managed to catch them without dismembering them. Call that post Fauna Friday: Freedom for All (or Let Go my Gecko, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F-Yq1I8gIA0)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leora - No need to apologize for liking lizards.
    A certain longtime Our Shiputzim reader told me that after four (4!) lizard posts, my claims of NOT being a lizard fan are no longer credible... :-)

    Ariella - Geckos have attained some popularity
    Who knew that we had a celebrity crawling around our playroom? :-)

    Toby - I like to think that they'll eat the mosquitoes.
    So YZG (aka "Mr. S.") has tried to convince me. He also insists that they eat The-Creatures-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named (but are spelled j-u-k-i-m)... :-)

    Yaffa - YZG says that he'll be glad to give you some gecko-catching pointers at the bat mitzvah next week IY"H... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.