Pages

Thursday, October 21, 2010

Fauna Friday: Skink Edition

At the risk of this blog developing into something which could easily be subtitled, “all lizards - all the time,” here’s a, um, a, er, {quickly asks YZG to reconfirm the unfamiliar name}, oh, right, a skink – i.e. a chomet (חומט) for the Hebraically-oriented among you:

Copy of IMG_2582Feel free to click on the picture for a closer view --– if you’re into creepy-looking, snake-like lizards, that is…

Note that this is the third – yes, the THIRD! – lizard to appear on Our Shiputzim. (The chameleon and the agama being the other two, of course.)

Which is strange enough in its own right.

After all, “four-legged reptiles with scaly skin and long tapering tails” (to quote Babylon’s definition) aren’t normally the first things to come to mind when thinking about the J-Blogosphere.

But what makes this particularly funny is that as those who know me in real life are well-aware, I am SO not the type to feature reptiles - or wildlife in general, for that matter – on my blog.

And that’s where YZG comes in.

You see, while I was always the little girl who remained safely outside the animal enclosures at family trips to places like petting zoos, YZG was the boy who spent his summers catching frogs, snakes, and salamanders.

And so the next time you start to wonder why I refer to TRLEOOB (=the real life equivalent of our blog) rather than TRLEOMB (=the real life equivalent of my blog), look no further than any of these Fauna Fridays.

The explanation should be fairly obvious…

smile_teeth

!שבת שלום ומבורך

9 comments:

  1. The other two were at least fairly cute. This one is particularly creepy looking.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reptiles are hard to warm up to (hint of a pun intended)

    ReplyDelete
  3. eeewwwwww i can't find the cuteness here, i just can't! eeeewwwwww. okay, i got it out my system. thanks. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Malke - My sentiments exactly. Although, in the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that I'm biased. After all, this one (unlike the other two) was found INSIDE OUR HOUSE... ;-(

    Ariella - Good one! :-)

    Minnesota Mamaleh - "eeewwwwww" was my reaction too... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you could write a kid's poem or book entitled "There is a Skink in our Sink."

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ariella - LOL! :-) Actually, I'm pretty sure that it's a NINK in the sink in Dr. Seuss's classic, "There's a Wocket in My Pocket"... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think Ariella is referring to Grandpa Suess' unpublished masterpiece, which goes something like this:

    There's a skink in the sink.

    I didn't want to move or blink,
    For it was sitting there on the brink.
    I don’t know what others think,
    But I was all tickled pink.
    There's a skink in the sink!
    I didn't want to move, I didn't want to blink.
    One wrong move, a little jink,
    and away, away he would slink.
    From my duty though I could not shrink,
    Though I be a mere gink.
    So, hands together all in sync,
    Careful to make not even a plink,
    I grabbed him faster than a wink.
    For a sink was no place for a skink.
    He deserved his own rink.
    Parts of the small enclosure I did link,
    For the goal was worth all the swink.
    It had to be safe from even a flying chewink,
    safe from the ground from roving mink.
    When all was done, we had a drink,
    our glasses together we did clink.
    Labeled carefully, clearly in ink,
    we announced the rink opening without making a stink.
    For the opening, the skink, he did prink,
    and everything went well, without a kink.
    The rink endures without a chink,
    To find it and visit just search for the link.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A laudable literary feat! Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Ariella. :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.