Pages

Thursday, January 5, 2012

As the fast ebbs away

It’s a fast day today (there’s about twenty minutes left to go, but who’s counting…), and you know what that means.

That’s right! It means that it’s time for a food-related post – especially since I just realized that I never got around to posting the menu from the bar mitzvah.

Here, then, is the Friday night menu:

  • Appetizer: Sweet and sour meatballs; couscous.
  • Main course: Brisket; schnitzel; potato kugel; mushroom rice; lettuce salad; health salad; corn salad.
  • Dessert: Assorted cookies, bars, and squares; taiglach*; tea and coffee.

Not really coincidentally, many of the aforementioned baked goods have appeared on the blog, such as:

IMG_5897Black and white cookies and cinnamon swirl cookies

IMG_5894 Chocolate swirl blondies (and also Torah-shaped cookies and more black and white cookies)

But there were plenty of new recipes as well. For instance:

IMG_5896 Two tone brownies (and also chocolate chip cookies)

Two Tone Brownies

Adapted from a recipe my mother copied from a magazine (?) many years ago

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup canola oil
  • 2 cups sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 6 TBSP cocoa
  • 4 tsp canola oil (for the chocolate layer)

Directions

Beat 2/3 cup of oil and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla and flour. Mix batter, and pour half in a baking-paper-lined 9x13 pan.

Add cocoa and 4 teaspoons of oil to the remaining batter, and mix through. Pour chocolate batter over the white batter in the pan. If you like, you can use a knife to create a marble pattern.

Bake at 350 degrees for 35-40 minutes or until done. IMG_5869 - Copy

!בתאבון

Have an easy and meaningful fast!

_________

*B”N, I  plan on writing a post about taiglach – as soon as I get the recipe… </not so subtle hint :-) >

 

9 comments:

  1. What a rich menu! The appetizers would be a meal for me. Your family must have a great appetite.
    The two tones brownies look really great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Today is my birthday and those cakes and cookies would make a great end of the fast celebration if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilana-Davita - Our regular Shabbat menus are much simpler, but this was, of course, a very special occasion BA"H... :-)

    Chanalesings - Happy birthday!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aren't taiglach traditional for Rosh Hashana time? I don't think I see them any other time of year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ariella - You're right. Taiglach ARE a traditional Rosh Hashanah treat. But in my family, at least, they also have a long history of being served at bar mitzvahs. (B"N, I hope to write more about this in a separate post!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great menu. I want to try all the recipes you have posted. The two tone brownies look so elegant and the recipe sounds really easy. I notice a black and white theme (black and white cookies, marble cookies, two tone brownies).

    I hope you get that taiglach recipe . . . I don't have a good recipe for that and I have always wanted to make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Laura - I had a lot of help with the cooking. We served the appetizer to the table but used a buffet for the main course and the dessert.

    ReplyDelete
  8. sounds like it was great! thank you for a new bar recipee, my 11 yr old son made it yesterday and everyone loved it! my 5 yr old said its a cake from the computer? thank you computer!(but in hebrew and she says mawchshev and she is really cute and she really meant it)

    ReplyDelete
  9. faith/emuna - Please tell her that the computer says "you're welcome!" :-) Shavua tov!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.