Pages

Thursday, February 24, 2011

Freshly Baked Friday: Chocolate swirl blondies edition

My absolute favorite kitchen utensils are our three cookie sheets, which came to us from each of my beloved grandmothers a”h.

IMG_3249 The bottom two were my paternal grandmother z”l’s, and the rimmed one on top belonged to my maternal grandmother z”l.

I’m sure that nothing would’ve given either one of them more nachat than the knowledge that the Resident Ulpanistit – who happens to be the eldest great-granddaughter to both my grandmothers a”h – regularly uses their respective cookie sheets to produce yummy treats, like these bars:

IMG_3072Chocolate Swirl Blondies

Adapted from ???? (I tried doing a search to figure out where I got the original recipe, but to no avail. If you recognize the source of these bars, please leave a comment, and I’ll update the post accordingly.)

Ingredients

  • 2/3 cup oil
  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup brown sugar
  • 2 tsp vanilla
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 cups flour
  • 1 tsp baking powder
  • ¼ tsp baking soda
  • ¼ tsp water
  • 1 cup chocolate chips

Directions

Beat oil, sugars, vanilla and eggs. Add dry ingredients and the water, and mix through. Stir in chocolate chips.

Put batter into a baking-paper-lined 11½ x 17½ rimmed cookie sheet (AKA a jelly roll pan). Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes.

Remove from oven, and use a knife to form a marble pattern. Return to oven for an additional 21 minutes.

Remove the pan from oven. Cut into bars and let cool in pan.

IMG_3131Feel free to drop by for a taste, if you happen to be near TRLEOOB* on Shabbat Parshat Vayakhel.

 !בתאבון ושבת שלום ומבורך

_____________

*TRLEOOB=the real life equivalent of our blog

12 comments:

  1. Thanx for the posting, I guess I'll just have to experience it vicariously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have the same recipe for chocolate chip cookies, which we make as "bars"--so much faster. Only my recipe calls for margarine. Yours is probably healthier (somewhat) and I'm going to try it with the oil next time. I think it might the Nestles Tollhouse Cookie recipe. I'll ask my sister, she is the one who gave it to me eons ago.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that it's Friday there so you can inspire me on Thursday nights. Guess what we're having for dessert? :-)))
    שבת שלום!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yekke Wannabe - Or, you could plan a visit to our beautiful Land...
    :-)

    Baila - It's similar to the Nestle Toll House recipe, but the latter has less sugar, more flour, no baking powder and more baking soda.

    Jennifer - Shavua tov! How did it come out?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made it too - it was delish, and we got lots of compliments! Thanks so much for sharing this cool as anything swirling idea!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. shavua tov! one of our son's asked on friday what he can bring to eat by his friend (who had an 'empty house') so i told him he can make your recipee, his 10 yr old brother volunteered to made it instead, and doubled the recipee so that we can have a batch too. forgot about swirling the second one so it came out like choclate chip bars. isnt it cool to think that your bars were made this shabbat through out israel? thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I suppose they have all gone by now!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toby - My pleasure!

    Faith/Emuna - You're welcome!
    who had an 'empty house'
    Hmm. I'm thinking that the time has come for a "bayit reik" post here on Our Shiputzim. (I've already discussed the related Friday afternoon phone call.) Anyone interested in guest blogging on the subject? :-)

    Ilana-Davita - Good guess! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds delicious - was going to make them, but we've eaten all the chocolate chips! :(

    (we had the peanut and choc chip bars out of last week's mishpacha)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Mrs Belogski - Here in TRLEOOB (=the real life equivalent of our blog), we consider chocolate chips to be a basic staple... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. My son and daughter actually made the blondies before R"H. I just printed the recipe (and stayed in the house in case of ... whatever it is one is supposed to be concerned about regarding a teen and a tween cooking). When they came out of the oven, everyone wondered if they were done enough? Later in the day I found the 2nd page to your recipe on the floor. My son said later, 2nd page? There was a 2nd page? It seems that the swirling and the re-baking didn't occur, but my husband and kids loved the cookie dough cookies. I might try doing it myself for Sukkot (and buy some ice cream for accompaniment, as my daughter requested). Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Leora - Great story! Thanks for making me smile! And I'm glad to hear that the quarter-baked cookies were put to good use... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.