Pages

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Heblish: “I’m going to have to sit down for that” edition

Shavua tov!

The Our Shiputzim Complaints Department has officially notified me that many of our readers aren’t pleased.

Apparently, they’re annoyed that not only haven’t I blogged since last Tuesday, but it’s been over two months since my last Heblish post.

Mea culpa.

But before I get around to rectifying this inexcusable lapse, commenter and guest blogger Malke submitted the following:

“My son was quoting from some parshan (commentator) that ‘אין שמחה אלא בישיבת ארץ ישראל’ (‘there’s no joy unless one dwells in Eretz Yisrael’), and so he explained that, ‘we can’t be truly happy unless we're sitting in Eretz Yisrael.’  Because, you see, if we happen to be standing, it's just not the same…”

And now, without further ado, here’s yet another batch of entries from the Official Our Shiputzim Heblish-English Dictionary:

Go over a [negative] mitzvah: Hebrew source לעבור על לאו. English definition – Transgress a negative mitzvah. Sample usage - “If you eat bread on Pesach, you go over the issur of eating chametz.”

In X shekel: Hebrew source שקל X-ב. English definition – For X shekels; at X shekels. Sample usage – “That store is having a sale. They’re selling tops in 20 shekels.”

In its place: Hebrew source במקום. English definition –Appropriate. Sample usage – “His comment was in its place.”

Scared from: Hebrew source …לפחד מ. English definition – Scared of. Sample usage – “On my way to school, I passed a big dog, and I was scared from it.”

Dots: Hebrew source נקודות. English definition – Points. Sample usage – “I had seven dots, but she had ten dots. So, she won the game.”

smile_teeth

Previous Heblish editions are available here: Heblish I, Heblish II, Heblish III, Heblish IV, Heblish V, Heblish VI, and Heblish VII.

4 comments:

  1. “On my way to school, I passed a big dog, and I was scared from it.” Sounds exactly like my kids.

    *sigh*

    Don't forget: "I don't want to save on X." For לשמור...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jameel - Based on the number of comments I've received about it, "save on X" is one of the most popular Heblishisms.

    But I don't remember the Shiputzim children ever saying it. I guess they're too busy keeping score of how many "dots" they have...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you heard this one before?

    I was reading Ilana's daf kesher on shabbos and we got to the part about Eisav trying to bite Yaakov. The daf read that Hashem performed a nes. Ilana took over at that point and announced,
    ד' עשה נס שהצוואר של יעקב
    came to a counter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yaffa - LOL! Shayish! :-)

    (I believe there's a machloket between Rashi and Tosafot about whether the shayish had a lip or not...)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.