Good morning, class.
As you’ll recall, we’re in the middle of our unit on the American oleh, and today we’re going to learn how to figure out which year an oleh arrived in Israel.
Now, as we’ve discussed many times, there are many clues which can give us a general idea:
- What is the ratio of Heblish to English in the oleh’s speech?
- Are his clothes and shoes mostly Israeli or mostly American?
- Is he willing and able to ask personal questions?
- How late does he arrive at smachot?
- Does he say “Shabbos” or “Shabbat”?
- How well has he mastered the Official Israeli Double Simcha KissTM?
And so on.
The answers to these questions should help you determine whether the oleh is just off the boat or else a veteran Israeli.
But what should you do if you want to know the exact year he arrived?
Get yourself invited to his home*, and check out his… household appliances.
Yes, you read that correctly.
You see, everyone who made aliyah in a given year has the exact. same. major appliances.
For instance, anyone who made aliyah from the US circa 1998 – as we did – probably brought most or all of the following items on their lift:
- A Maytag washer and dryer
- An Admiral (or Maytag or Magic Chef) self-cleaning gas stove (More on this oven coming soon...)
- A GE Profile refrigerator
- A Miele dishwasher
Feel free to try this [more or less] fail-safe technique* for accurately guessing an oleh’s aliyah date.
You’ll be the hit of the party as you amaze your friends and relatives with your uncanny abilities…
* Void where prohibited. The Our Shiputzim management is neither responsible nor liable for any adverse results or undesirable outcomes. :-)