Pages

Thursday, October 2, 2008

Heblish Revisited

Helloooo, Our Shiputzim fans!

As you may recall, I recently posted a number of entries from the Our Shiputzim Heblish-English dictionary. (Check out the comment section there for some more great examples.)

Since then, I’ve managed to collect a few more family favorites.

However, before posting these gems, I should note that – above and beyond their entertainment value – these definitions serve two important functions. Not only do they help teach our children how to speak properly, but they serve as reminders for those of us who’ve become inured to things like the infamous “City in Growing Process” sign.

In any event, without further ado, here are a few more examples from TRLEOOB (the real life equivalent of our blog):

Switch him: Hebrew source – להחליף אותו. English definition – To substitute for him. Sample usage - “My teacher wasn’t there today, and so another teacher switched him.” (Hat tip: A Living Nadneyda, whose comment on this post reminded me of this example.)

What’s the kesher: Hebrew source – מה הקשר. English definition – What does that have to do with anything? Sample usage - “Why do I have to go to sleep now? So what if it’s after midnight? What’s the kesher?(Hat tip: MB, for reminding me of this phrase and how much I “adore” it…)

Litapel b’it: Hebrew source – לטפל במשהו. English definition – To take care of it. Sample usage - “I told my teacher about the problem, and she said that she would litapel b’it.”

At all: Hebrew source – בכלל. English definition – Literally, at all or generally, but also used for emphasis. Sample usage - “Where is it at all?”; “It’s at all not your turn!”

And on that note, the fast is over B”H, and it’s time for me to go eat.

Tzom kal to our readers who are still fasting, and have a good evening from the entire Our Shiputzim staff.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the attribution. I am now officially famous.
    You are so correct about our being inured. Half of your examples sounded perfectly reasonable to my ears. I recently said something to my sister aboiut something being "also this and also that" and she said "Um, Malke, that's really not English."
    Oh, and one more example from the Borow household: Daughter Borow, when younger, was asked how her day was and replied "Like this, like that" (or in other words "Kacha kacha")

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am now officially famous.
    This is quite true. Being cited by the Our Shiputzim blog is a sure sign that your celebrity credentials are impeccable.

    "also this and also that"
    "Like this, like that"

    Good ones!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link!

    Finally I remembered that other thing my kids say that, frankly, I can't stand, but here goes...

    They habitually begin sentences with "But..." as in, "I'm Israeli so I have to argue with whatever you just said, even if I agree or it's not an arguable point (at all)."

    As for "at all," it's also way overused.

    "Like this, like that" would work in French, at least.

    And for some balance: Second night Yom Tov we were at neighbors and the father was very enthusiastic about my California roots, since he insists that his children learn Valley Talk, among their other language acquisitions. (Like, omigod, gag me with a spoon).

    ReplyDelete
  4. A Living Nadneyda:
    Like, omigod, gag me with a spoon
    The real question is: how does one say this in Hebrew?
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.