Pages

Saturday, December 20, 2008

One week later

Shavua tov.

It’s hard to believe that it’s been a week since the bar mitzvah. Of course, we’re still eating our way through the leftovers, and MAG is busy enjoying every minute of thank-you-note writing </sarcasm>. But overall, life is more or less back to normal.

For those of you who were unable to join us in person, here is a look at the Friday night meal (i.e. the seudat leil Shabbat, for the Hebraically-oriented among you).

As some of you know, we followed the model we had used for the CTO’s bar mitzvah (which was based on reader MB’s bar mitzvah model) – namely, I did the Friday night meal (with lots of help from various family members) as well as seudah shlishit, and we had Shabbat lunch and the melave malka catered.

Friday night menu

  • Appetizer: Potato burekas with mushroom sauce
  • Main course: Brisket; schnitzel; potato kugel; mushroom rice; green beans with almonds; lettuce salad; copper carrot salad
  • Dessert: Assorted cakes and cookies; taiglach; jelly beans; tea

Recipes available upon request.

Here’s how the room looked set up for Friday night. (These pictures were taken before the flowers were added.)

IMG_3842

IMG_3843

IMG_3846

Have a good week from all of us here at Our Shiputzim!

2 comments:

  1. Glad it went so nicely, and you are so calm. I'm delaying getting started for my son's bar-mitzvah. Next month. Of course, the really hard part, the leining, my husband and son began months ago...

    I like the end tag way of writing sarcasm. I once heard of a boy who, when he learned he had to write thank you notes, said, please take all the presents back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leora - This isn't your oldest son, right? I think that makes a big difference. With MAG's bar mitzvah, I was much more laid back than I was before our oldest son's bar mitzvah and our oldest daughter's bat mitzvah. This time, I knew what needed to be done; how I wanted it done; and when to go about doing it.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.