Pages

Wednesday, November 4, 2009

At least he said “please”…

This past Shabbat (Parshat Lech Lecha), a certain gan-age child of my acquaintance (ACGAC) was telling us about the parsha.

Brief digression: As usual, most – if not all – of what ACGAC said was based on the Midrash, rather than the pshat. I sometimes wonder if preschool teachers should be placing more emphasis on the actual text. What do you think? </Digression>

Anyway, everyone at the table enjoyed the presentation. To the gannenet’s credit, ACGAC had been taught well and had much to say.

And although the handful of charming errors and adorable Heblishisms elicited a couple of hastily suppressed giggles, for the most part, everyone was dutifully trying to hide their amusement from the young speaker.

But then ACGAC reached the part in the story where Avraham is thrown into the kivshan ha’esh (the “fiery furnace”).

At that point, most of those in attendance burst out laughing, while the more restrained members of ACGAC’s audience attempted - with varying degrees of success - to wipe the broad smiles off their faces.

You see, according to ACGAC, Nimrod politely asked Avraham’s father, Terach:

“Will you please give me your baby so I can kill him?”

The calm, matter-of-fact tone in which ACGAC said this line brought the house down…

smile_teeth

4 comments:

  1. This reminds me of when my oldest was in 1st grade, several months after we made aliya, and he came home and proudly told me "Ima, I learned on the bus today how to say excuse me-zuz!"

    ReplyDelete
  2. As the Savta, I'm so glad that ACGAC is learning to be polite ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Raizy - Even now, I still smile when I think about it.

    Malke - LOL! :-)

    Imma - Apparently, one can even learn politeness from Nimrod...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.