Pages

Monday, September 22, 2008

Aliyah memories: Eliraz Boy edition

Helloooo, Our Shiputzim fans!

This post will be the first installment of a new – and hopefully recurrent – series:

A look back at our first year in Israel

One day, soon after starting gan, OOOC (one of our children)* came home and told me some story about a boy named “Eliraz Boy.”

Eliraz Boy?” I asked. “That’s an… er, unusual name.”

Well, that’s his name,” OOOC insisted. “Eliraz Boy. He’s in my gan.”

He?” I wondered. “But isn’t Eliraz a girl’s name?”

The next day, when I picked OOOC up from gan, OOOC pointed to one of the girls and announced, “Imma, see that boy over there? He’s Eliraz Boy.”

But she looks like a girl,” I said.

Yes, I know,” OOOC replied. “But the gannenets always call her Eliraz Boy.”

And then it hit me.

As you may have guessed, the gannenets were saying אלירז בואי [“Eliraz, bo’ee” - “Eliraz, come here (fem.)”]….

__________

* This story was posted with OOOC’s full permission.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment.