Pages

Saturday, September 20, 2008

Tzimmes on my mind

Shavua tov, Our Shiputzim fans!

Since I seem to have been [temporarily?] usurped as the official family tzimmes maker (Who, me? Bitter? What gives you that idea?smile_regular), I figure I might as well blog about tzimmes in lieu of actually making it.

Several tzimmes-related notes:

1. This recipe is my version of my mother’s tzimmes recipe, which is, in turn, based on her mother’s – i.e. my grandmother a”h - tzimmes recipe.

2. As a fervent adherent of the “simpler and easier are better” school of cooking, I skip the traditional step of slow-cooking the tzimmes on the stovetop before baking. Instead, I just put all the ingredients in a heavy disposable pan and let the whole thing bake and bake and bake…

3. IMHO, tzimmes is one of those rare dishes which tastes better the more it’s reheated. So, I like to make the tzimmes a day or two before Rosh Hashanah and then reheat it for several hours before eating.

4. One could perhaps add sweet potatoes to the recipe. But for Rosh Hashanah, I like to stick to carrots exclusively.

5. I don’t really have exact (or even approximate) amounts for any of the ingredients. I add most of the ingredients (except for the carrots) “to taste” and adjust the flavor as the tzimmes bakes.

Ingredients:

  • Enough carrots to fill a disposable pan
  • Honey
  • Brown sugar
  • Hot water
  • Lemon juice
  • Potato starch or flour
  • Cinnamon
  • Nutmeg
  • Ginger
  • Salt

Directions:

Peel carrots and slice thin in a food processor. Put the carrot slices in the pan. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. Bake covered at 375 degrees for several hours until carrots are very soft. Stir occasionally, and correct the taste as needed.

Enjoy!

!שנה טובה ומתוקה

20 comments:

  1. does the carpenter like tzimmes?

    after all he usually is discussed on this blog.


    ask him tomorrow when he comes

    ReplyDelete
  2. ask him tomorrow when he comes
    Good one!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Do you have virtual tastings?
    SPYYZ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you have virtual tastings?
    Good question. I'll have to consult with the Our Shiputzim technical department in order to determine if such a thing is feasible...

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. This probable lifesaver just went into my recipe book as "Mrs. S.'s Mother's Mother's Carrot Tzimmes Recipe."

    Thanks! May you be blessed with a very sweet, healthy, spiritual 5769!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rutimizrachi - I'm glad that you like the recipe.

    As a child, I was always highly skeptical of this dish, because some of the adults around me would claim that, "it tastes just like candy!"

    The truth is that it tastes NOTHING like candy, but these days, my husband and I - and even some of our kids! - enjoy it very much.

    Ktivah v'chatimah tovah to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. "and correct the taste as needed."
    where is the Nobe?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, YAT.
    Please pardon my ignorance, but what's a "Nobe"?

    ReplyDelete
  9. First I would like to say how flattered I am, but that would be breaking security so....
    Second, please don't feel you were usurped. I just had to do something with all those carrots. They were the "freebie" at the otzar haaretz for two months. And since I got two months for two families (thank you SPYYZ) at the same time, I really had to do something with them.
    I'H next year without shmita issues I don't think I will have the overabundence of carrots of this year.
    Anyway we are looking forward to the other things that you are making (or are having your people make)
    P.S. It does taste like candy ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. P.S. It does taste like candy ;)
    I thought you don't like candy...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. YZG that is a good point. But maybe if candy tasted like tzimmes, I would like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. but that would be breaking security so....
    I'm glad to see that you're finally getting the hang of this security thing...
    :-)

    But maybe if candy tasted like tzimmes, I would like candy.
    Aha! So you admit that tzimmes doesn't taste like candy, after all?

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A nobe is really a knob

    ReplyDelete
  14. A nobe is really a knob
    Hmmm. Well that does clarify matters somewhat. But one question still remains: What does a knob have to do with tzimmes?

    ReplyDelete
  15. I will explain the knob issue:
    You mentioned to
    "correct the taste as needed."
    So YAT was asking where the knob was to correct the taste.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So YAT was asking where the knob was to correct the taste.
    Ohhhhh! NOW I get it.
    Good one, YAT.
    Thanks for the explanation, YT.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, we get to post comment number 17!!!! This was obviously a very successful post.
    All we have to do now is think of something smart to say. If only.....

    SPYYZ

    ReplyDelete
  18. All we have to do now is think of something smart to say. If only.....
    Cute!

    See you on Monday IY'H!

    ReplyDelete
  19. i am number 19
    and thank you ayt for explaining

    ReplyDelete
  20. i am number 19
    Woo, hoo! Go, YAT!

    And, also, have a shanah tovah u'metukah!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.