Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

The Mizbei’ach

{cue: TV announcer voice}

The challenge: Help your daughter build a model of the Mizbei’ach (the Altar in the Mishkan/Beit HaMikdash) for school, when:

  1. The teacher only gave the class three days to complete the assignment.
  2. You are IY”H making a bar mitzvah in less than two weeks.
  3. Your family’s Klei Beit HaMikdash bar was previously set extremely high by ESG’s gorgeous model of the Mizbach HaKtoret.

Can it be done?

</announcer voice>

I admit that I had serious doubts. As I told ACSD (=a certain Shiputzim daughter), I didn’t even know where to begin.

But,” I added brightly, albeit rather skeptically. “Maybe Abba will have some ideas.

And B”H, Abba (aka “YZG” aka “Mr. S.”) did.

In fact, as soon as he heard about ACSD’s assignment, YZG started thinking, and within a few minutes, TRLEOOB (=the real life equivalent of our blog) had been transformed into a scene straight out of MacGyver.

First, YZG and ACSD headed upstairs to scrounge around the attic.

They reappeared shortly thereafter, armed with an odd assortment of empty shoeboxes, old doorstops, aluminum foil, paper, crayons, scissors, glue, scotch tape, rubber bands, cardboard, toothpicks, recycled plastic containers, and more, and immediately got to work…

I’m sure you’ll agree that the result is pretty amazing:

IMG_5823IMG_5825 If you click on the pictures for a closer view, you’ll be able to see some of ACSD’s handwritten labels, which identify each part of the Mizbei’ach.

Beautiful job, ACSD (and YZG)!

May we all be privileged to witness the fulfillment of the words of the daily Amidah prayer, speedily and in our days:

“…וְהָשֵׁב אֶת הָעֲבוֹדָה לִדְבִיר בֵּיתֶךָ, וְאִשֵּׁי יִשְׂרָאֵל וּתְפִלָּתָם בְּאַהֲבָה תְקַבֵּל בְּרָצוֹן, וּתְהִי לְרָצוֹן תָּמִיד עֲבוֹדַת יִשְׂרָאֵל עַמֶּךָ.”

“…And restore the service to the Inner Sanctuary of Your House. And accept the fire-offerings of Israel and their prayer, with love and favor. And may the service of Israel, Your nation, always be favorable to You.”

9 comments:

  1. "three days" - yikes. You have one creative family! Love the result.

    Best wishes with all the bar-mitzvah prep.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leora - Thanks! Yeah, I agree that three days was ridiculous. In fact, I'm sure you won't be surprised to hear that only three girls gave the assignment in on time... :-)

    Leah - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Mrs. S.
    I am a lurker of your blog, delurking in order to thank you.
    My daughter has just finished her basic training in the air force. One of the things that kept her and her class (kita) going were your chocolate swirl blondies. I have made at least 12 batches in the last three weeks. The girls have been "mevarechim" me (some Heblish there) and I felt that I really had to pass the good feelings back to where they originated – you and your blog. I have already translated the recipe into Hebrew and have promised to send more for those who will be taking the same course as my daughter. I have had to promise to send them by post so that during the intensive course that they will be taking, when they will not be home for 3 weeks at a time, they will not be deprived of their "mana" of chocolate. (I must admit to adding some coconut and cranberries to the original recipe).
    So from us here in Otef Aza, to my daughter somewhere on an air force base in Israel to you somewhere in Israel, your blondies are a real hit.
    Thanks and Shabbat Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous - Wow! Thank you for delurking and for your lovely comment! (And two points for using Heblish... :-) ) May Hashem keep your daughter, her friends, and all our chayalim safe and sound. BTW, please feel free to introduce yourself via email: OurShiputzim at gmail dot com. Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shavua tov! I'm not sure why, but I clicked on your "attic" link and was surprised and excited to see pics from back when your blog was actually about shiputzim! How cool! And wowee, what a gigantic attic you have! I think you could fit a lot of my house in there... use it in the best of health!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm very impressed. Three days is so little time, even without all that simcha preparation going on. Very nice job. I have to bookmark this post as a model for a future parsha cake project.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Impressive! Now you must come to Shiloh and see the main shul which is modeled on the Mishkan.
    Shavua tov and mazaltov!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Toby - You know that you have a standing invitation to come visit TRLEOOB (=the real life equivalent of our blog) and see our attic in person! :-)

    Laura - Great idea for a parsha cake!

    Batya - Thanks. We would love to come some time!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.