Pages

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Two weeks to go

Here’s what’s been going on in TRLEOOB (=the real life equivalent of our blog) lately:

1) On Sunday, Rosh Chodesh Kislev, I happened to be doing some shopping. (Did I mention that we’re IY”H making a bar mitzvah in a few weeks?)

At the first store, I was trying to figure out if a certain item was machine-washable or not, and so I asked the seemingly-secular saleswoman about the fabric content.

But before I had a chance to explain why I was asking, she immediately responded, “Don’t worry. It’s not shatnez. There’s no wool in it…

And as I was leaving, she wished me a “chodesh tov” – as did the dreadlocked cashier in the next store.

Five words: Reason #3721 for making aliyah…

2) Have you ever dreamed of writing a guest post for one of the J-Blogosphere’s biggest, most important, most influential, and most widely-read blogs?

Well, I can’t help you there, but as per reader Faith/Emuna’s excellent suggestion, I am offering you the chance to write a guest post for this blog.

Open-mouthed

If you’re interested, please email me at OurShiputzim at gmail dot com.

3) The other day, YCT (who’s always been like a brother to me) asked me over the phone why I hadn’t written a post about the “extremely cool and sophisticated” – okay, maybe those weren’t his EXACT words… :-) - Access database I designed and used for each of the Shiputzim kids’ bar/bat mitzvahs.

BTW, if you’re making a simchah and would like a copy of the database’s schema, I’d be more than happy to send it to you. It works for bar and bat mitzvahs and, with a bit of minor tweaking, could be easily adapted for weddings as well. </offer you can’t refuse>

In response, I explained to YCT that the reason I haven’t blogged about my database is that I don’t like to show off.

I can see that,” he replied, clearly much struck by what I had said. “Because, after all, referring to one of your own posts as ‘history in the making’ is the absolute height of modesty and humility…

Open-mouthed

!שבת שלום ומבורך

6 comments:

  1. Very cool about the database. I think what I would need in future, however, is to pay someone reliable to do the data entry. My methods are very, um, scattered.

    Mazel tov on the upcoming simha. May you have lots of nachat from all your wee and not so wee ones.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You reminded me to respond. :)

    I suppose you want us to read #3721 as one word rather than 5 words (number three seven two one or number thirty seven twenty one, etc).

    Can't wait to see the guest post!

    Did you mean to post two #2's?
    -yaffa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mazel tov and god luck with all the preparations!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leora - Yeah, data entry is the one downside... :-)

    Yaffa - Oops! Good catch!

    Ilana-Davita - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mazel tov on the upcoming simcha.

    I'm very impressed about your database. I should really get Access because I understand it is a lot more versatile than Excel (which is what I have for similar purposes).

    I can't wait to see the guest posts.

    Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Laura - For this purpose, I highly recommend Access over Excel. Thanks for your good wishes and shavua tov!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.