Pages

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Heblish raises one’s IQ

Once again, linguistic experts have “discovered” something which Anglo parents have known for years.

You see, according to this JPost article:

“University of Haifa researchers… found that those who speak two languages more easily learn a third, and can raise their IQ while doing so.”

If you’re a longtime Our Shiputzim reader, you’ve no doubt guessed where I’m going with this. (Of course, it certainly didn’t hurt that I basically gave it away in the title…)

Because if there’s one thing I hope you’ve taken away from this blog, it’s that kids who speak both Hebrew and English are automatically going to start speaking Heblish as well.

And if the aforementioned researchers want to believe that Heblish-speakers have high IQs, well, who am I, the doting mother of brilliant Heblish-speakers BA”H an impartial observer to disagree with their expert assessment?

smile_teeth

___________________

P.S. The latest Haveil Havalim is available here. Special thanks to Susan B. for including my mother-son learning post.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, I saw that article too, and I can't decide whether or not to believe it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Toby - Who knew that Heblish is actually a sign of great intelligence? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wonder whether the IQ rgument could incite my students to improve their English.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ilana-Davita - LOL! I guess it couldn't hurt to try... ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.