Pages

Wednesday, May 26, 2010

A hop, skip and a jump

As you may recall, one of the “dictionary” entries in yesterday’s Heblish post was:

To jump a class: Hebrew source לקפוץ כיתה. English definition – To skip a grade. Sample usage – ‘He’s younger than the other kids, because he jumped a class.’”

This prompted Leora to ask an interesting question in the comment section:

“How do you say ‘to skip a class’? לקפוץ כיתה-I thought that might be skip.”

For those who missed it, here’s my reply:

I checked with two of my favorite Israeli teenagers, who agreed that the correct term is להבריז (lehavriz).

Not that either of them - {clears throat ironically} - knows this from personal experience...

And on a related note, I told a certain 12th grader of my acquaintance about a tradition which was known as "Senior Skip Day" back when I was in high school.

The 12th grader laughed, because for all intents and purposes, since Rosh Chodesh Adar, he and his classmates have been enjoying "Senior Skip Semester"...

smile_teeth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to leave a comment.