Pages

Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Who you callin’ chicken?

A few weeks ago, A Mother in Israel posted a “Shabbat Meme”.

I’ve decided to take up the challenge, but instead of answering all the questions in one post, I’m going to focus only on the second one for now:

Favorite Shabbat Meal

A surefire Friday night crowd pleaser here in TRLEOOB (tell me - do I have to keep explaining what this means?) is what the Shiputzim family refers to as “Classic Chicken”.

Simply put, this is fresh (I time it so that it’s ready just before I light candles) roasted chicken which has been seasoned with copious amounts of garlic powder, onion powder, and paprika.

Although this dish may sound somewhat prosaic, it’s our family’s overwhelming favorite. Even a certain Shiputzim child who’s notorious for being a picky eater has occasionally asked for second helpings.

With an appetizer of chicken soup and accompanied by fresh hand-grated potato kugel and a tossed salad, “Classic Chicken” is the meal most frequently requested by the denizens of TRLEOOB.

Thus, I was pleasantly surprised when one of the aforementioned denizens specifically asked for Pineapple Chicken last week.

Pineapple Chicken

Ingredients:

  • Can of pineapple (including the juice)
  • Soy sauce
  • Brown sugar
  • Garlic powder

Directions:

Clean chicken and place in a roasting pan. Pour the pineapple pieces and juice over the chicken. Season with soy sauce, brown sugar, and finally the garlic powder. (I tend to be very generous with all these ingredients.) Bake uncovered, while basting often. (In my oven, 1.75 hours at 375 degrees works, but YMMV.)

!בתאבון

2 comments:

  1. The pineapple chicken sounds good, and easy which is my primary requirement. I often make your classic chicken but add duck sauce towards the end which gives it a glaze, big hit around here.
    But do you really get away with just chicken, kugel and salad? When I try something like that on Shabbos, I get a look of bewilderment and an amazed (and indignant) "Only three things?" As if they're not happy with the hotel's choices this evening...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malke - If we're not having any company and especially on weeks when some of the older kids are away (e.g. this week's Shabbat Ulpana), then no one minds - as long as all three dishes are things that everyone really likes...

    And on a related note, if I had a shekel for every time I said, "this is not a restaurant" - well, let's just say that I'd be able to afford to dedicate a lot more time to blogging...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.