Pages

Tuesday, February 1, 2011

When life gives you lemons…

When we last left our lemons, they were huddled together on the floor in plastic bags:

IMG_3046

Now, I know that you’ve all been deeply concerned about the lemons’ ultimate fate.

And so, without further ado, here’s what happened next:

After separating trumot u’ma’asrot and washing the fruit, the Our Shiputzim Citrus Department cut the lemons in half:IMG_3063

And began squeezing:

IMG_3064

They then poured the juice into plastic cups (each cup holds ½ a cup of juice) and flash froze the juice:

IMG_3060  IMG_3059

Once the juice was frozen, the cups were placed into plastic bags and returned to the freezer.

Which naturally begs the question: What will we do with the frozen lemon juice?

And the answer is…

Make lemonade, of course!

smile_teeth

Lemonade

  • 1 cup lemon juice (i.e. two plastic cups-worth)
  • ¾ cup sugar
  • 5 cups water

Enjoy!

8 comments:

  1. Love the title of this post. Glad it has nothing to do with cars.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading blogs usually makes me hungry. This time I feel thirsty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome! I need to get me a lemon tree :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. We use 1/2 cup of sugar and only one frozen plastic cup of lemon juice. The containers from frozen OJ concentrate work well also.
    לרוויה!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a lemonade recipe that leaves you feeling no pain:

    http://miriyummy.wordpress.com/2010/05/05/when-life-gives-you-lemons/

    ReplyDelete
  6. Leora - Thanks, and me too! :-)

    Ilana-Davita - LOL! :-)

    Toby - Don't forget that you have a standing invitation to come pick some lemons from our tree... :-)

    Miriam - Interesting. For the same amount of water? (I didn't realize that you have a lemon tree.)

    Miriyummy - Now THAT'S what I call lemonade... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love lemonade especially in the summer from the local kids I always buy from them.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yekke Wannabe - We usually make a pitcher of lemonade every week for Shabbat.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.