Pages

Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Pitka tava

IMG_2162Seen earlier this week on Kvish 6 (the Trans-Israel Highway), the electronic sign reads: “Happy Succot from the Derech Eretz Company [the operators of Kvish 6].”

I’ve never been a big fan of, um, sweet sweet potato kugels, which are often prepared with things like canned pineapple, brown sugar, maple syrup, or even (shudder) marshmallows. (Seriously?? Marshmallows??)

So I was thrilled when a number of years ago, I found a recipe for something called “Savory Sweet Potato Kugel” in the paper:

IMG_1212Savory Sweet Potato Kugel

Adapted from the Jerusalem Post, this recipe is admittedly a bit more of a potchke than, say, lukshen kugel or even potato kugel but, IMHO, well-worth the effort. (Please feel free to stop by and have a taste if you should find yourself near TRLEOOB* over Simchat Torah...)

Ingredients

  • 2 to 2.5 kg sweet potatoes (i.e. batatot, for the Hebraically-oriented among you) - scrubbed and unpeeled
  • Oil (I use canola)
  • 5-6 large onions - chopped
  • 1-2 cloves of garlic - chopped finely (the original recipe called for ground ginger instead)
  • 4 eggs
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • Bread crumbs

Directions

Put the unpeeled sweet potatoes in a pot and cover with water. Add a pinch of salt, and bring to a boil. Simmer for about half an hour or until tender. Drain and let cool.

While the sweet potatoes are cooking, sauté the onions in the oil. When they’re translucent, add the garlic, and continue sautéing until the onions are golden brown.

Peel sweet potatoes and mash using a potato masher. Add onion and garlic mixture, eggs, salt and pepper.

Place mixture in an oiled 9x13 pan. Smooth mixture and sprinkle bread crumbs on top. Bake at 350 degrees for 45-60 minutes.

!חג שמח

________

*TRLEOOB=the real life equivalent of our blog

8 comments:

  1. I'm glad you got the Kvish 6 sign. I couldn't get my camera out when we drove that way on Monday. Shabbat shalom!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yaffa - We missed you on Tuesday! Shavua tov and choref tov!

    ReplyDelete
  3. great sign, so only in Israel
    I use sweet potatoes, baked slices with other veggies, a drop of oil and it taste like candy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I usually make a sweet potato kugel with a praline topping, known in our house as In-Law Pie, but I'm intrigued by a savory version, so guess what's on the menu for this Shabbat...

    I love that sign! Can I swipe it for my Only in Israel album on Facebook? I'll give you and the blog full credit, of course.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Batya - Sounds delicious!

    Miriyummy - Absolutely! BTW, the Yom HaAtzma'ut version of the sign appears here.

    ReplyDelete
  6. that sounds like a lot of onions. I only use one smallish onion in an 8" potato kugel. Are these sweet onions?

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks very appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ariella - These are regular onions. Actually, the original recipe called for four medium onions, but my motto is: "one onion is good; two onions are better"... :-)

    Ilana-Davita - It's always a crowd favorite.

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.