Pages

Thursday, February 25, 2010

The end is nigh

Nothing says, “the fast is almost over,” like blogging about food.

And so, here goes.

Lately, it seems as if the whole world is cooking Beef Bourguignon. And, really, who can blame them? (If you’ve seen Julie & Julia, you’ll know what I mean.)

So for a recent family get-together, I decided to come up with my own version, and since this is Israel, I used turkey rather than beef.

If you haven’t planned your Purim seudah menu yet, you might want to consider this dish – although I should note that here in TRLEOOB*, we’re IY”H having pineapple chicken instead.

Turkey Stew

Ingredients

  • 3 – 3.5 kilos of basar adom (literally, “red meat” – i.e. dark turkey meat), cubed
  • Olive oil
  • Onions, chopped
  • Several cloves of garlic, minced
  • Carrots, sliced thin
  • 2-3 TBSP flour
  • 2-3 cups semi dry red wine
  • Parsley
  • Thyme
  • Brown sugar
  • 2 TBSP tomato paste
  • Salt
  • Pepper

Instructions

Brown meat and set aside. Sauté onions in oil until golden. Add garlic and carrots, and let cook for several minutes, stirring frequently. Add flour and mix through, and then immediately add wine. Return meat to pot, and then add remaining ingredients to taste. Cook for about an hour, stirring occasionally.

Serve over a bed of egg noodles.

בתאבון!

_______

*TRLEOOB=the real life equivalent of our blog

5 comments:

  1. Sounds good. B"eh we'll try it.
    SPYYMZ

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is good i read this after the fast.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SPYYMZ - If you do, please let me know how it comes out.
    I hope you had a wonderful Purim!

    MAG (hungry or otherwise) - LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I will try this instead of chulent this shabbos...except I don't have all ingredient. i will have to improvise.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yaffa - I can't wait to hear how it comes out. Shabbat Shalom!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.