Pages

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Yashvatz and tchupar (gesundheit!)

As promised, here are two more secrets from the glamorous world of hadrachah:

1) Yashvatz (ישב”ץ) stands for yeshivat tzevet (ישיבת צוות) – literally, “staff meeting”. (Yes, this yet another one of those odd, unintuitive acronyms)

Naturally, being a madrich/madrichah means attending many yashvatzim – especially during Chodesh Irgun, when there’s a yashvatz practically every. single. night.

But lest you feel sorry for the, ahem, “poor, overworked” madrichim, let me assure you that these are not your father’s staff meetings.

Don’t believe me?

Well, take a look at a recent yashvatz. There were neither conference tables, dull PowerPoint presentations, nor uninspiring speakers.

No, this so-called “staff meeting” involved a treasure hunt at a mall followed by pizza.

I rest my case….

(Hat tip: Baila)

2) Tchupar (צ’ופר) is usually translated as a bonus or an added benefit.

But as far as I’m concerned, tchuparim are the reason why I would’ve made a terrible madrichah.

Because in all my many years as a youth group leader and a camp counselor, I never had to prepare cute, little handmade prizes – aka tchuparim - for all my campers.

However, according to the Oral Law of Hadrachah, tchuparim are to be distributed at a number of pre-designated occasions – including after the Shabbat Irgun hofa’ot (performances).

Here’s a picture of what a certain madrichah gave out to all her chanichot (charges) at her peulat petichah (opening event):

IMG_0078Loose translation of the inscription: “The next two years depend on (talui – literally, ‘hang on’) us. We hope they’ll be the best ever. With lots of love, ####”

Other instances where tchuparim are de rigueur are at the machaneh, on various trips and hikes, and, of course, at the yashvatz

smile_teeth

3 comments:

  1. But as far as I’m concerned, tchuparim are the reason why I would’ve made a terrible madrichah.

    That's me too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Tchupraim: me too...but girls have to make many more than boys!
    Compare what the girls create to what the boys do. (And often the boys ask the girls to make the tshuparim for them).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ilana-Davita - I'm constantly amazed by these girls' creativity!

    Keren - It's true. The boys have it easier. But the girls get some help, too. For instance, I happen to know that the madrichah who made the tchupar pictured in this post had her younger siblings do much of the coloring...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.