Pages

Monday, September 7, 2009

My BFF Michal

In a comment to the previous post, Toby of the very funny A Time of the Signs blog wrote:

On the flip side of this, I've discovered that those folks calling to collect for various charities are very forthcoming about giving their names. As in, my kids will say, "Eema, Orli is on the phone." I'll pick up, wondering which Orli it could be, and I'm greeted with, "hi Toby, this is Orli from such and such an organization..."

This happens to me all the time, but the ultimate example occurred less than a week after our first sabra was born.

I answered the phone to hear a cheery voice gush excitedly, "Mazal tov, [Mrs. S.]!"

Clearly, it was one of my nearest and dearest friends.

But while my sleep-deprived brain tried to figure out exactly which one, the voice continued.

"It's Michal!" she chirped unhelpfully.

Now I was completely mystified. Still in the throes of my bleary, postpartum daze, I mentally ran through the list of Michals I knew.

Apparently, I was even more exhausted than I had thought, because I couldn’t remember having a best friend named Michal!

Finally, she put me out of my misery and explained that she was calling from one of the infant formula companies...

smile_teeth

_____________

P.S. In case you were wondering, I politely told her that I was nursing exclusively, thanked her for calling, and hung up…

10 comments:

  1. One organization found out about our bar mitzvah and wanted us to do a "seudat aniim."
    Did you fill out any forms at the hospital from sales reps? That's probably how they got your name.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whoa - I went out to parent-teacher meetings, came back, and was greeted by this! I'm glad you liked my comment, and thanks for the link. Your postpartum story is VERY funny, and unfortunately all too believable :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this. Good response to a formula company.

    Yesterday I was friendly and cheerful to the guy who called wanted to sign us up for some Visa card that supports Israel. I think he was confused that I was friendly. But when he wanted to give me more information, I told him I was tired, he should send the details in the mail. No wonder I hate the phone - it's always something like that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MiI - Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's how it happened. They were giving out a "shai" to each mother, and exhausted new olah that I was, I innocently took it and signed my name.

    Toby - B"H, it almost feels like I've been going to parent-teacher meetings every night this week. Oh, wait. That's because I HAVE been going to parent-teacher meetings every night this week...
    :-)

    Leora - Lately, when telemarketers or phone solicitors call, I simply say that I don't give out any information or make any commitments whatsoever over the phone, thank them for calling, and hang up. But I can see where cheerfulness would confuse them...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. They have started doing this in france too. Once they even called me by my first name, which I found rather irritating.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ilana-Davita - In Israel, even perfect strangers - including telemarketers! - tend to use one's first name. But we were still very new olim at the time, and so I wasn't used to the custom yet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jameel - LOL! :-)
    Of course, here in Israel, where - as you know - people like teachers, gannenets, school principals, repairmen and even some doctors give out their home numbers all the time, Seinfeld's approach may not be *quite* as effective...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mrs. S: True, but do Israeli Telemarketers give out their home number?

    I'm going to have to try out the Seinfeld approach :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Jameel - You're right. They probably don't. But if they did, this is such a small country that chances are, they would turn out to be one's cousin's neighbor or one's co-worker's brother-in-law...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.