Friday, September 11, 2009

Film Friday: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Edition

As the summer vacation drew to a close, YZG took all the kids on a yom keif (literally, a “fun day” or a “day of fun”). Actually, to be precise, he took them on two separate yemei keif – one for the older kids and one for the younger ones.

The older kids’ yom keif (i.e. OKYK in OurShiputzim-speak) involved lunch at a pizza shop and then going to see the latest Harry Potter movie.

The younger kids’ yom keif (YKYK, obviously) began with visits to not one, not two, but – count ‘em! – three playgrounds and ended with lunch at a pizza shop. (Do you detect a theme?)

I got to stay home and work both times. (Hey, someone had to pay for all that pizza… ;-))

The older kids kept themselves busy during YKYK. (Actually, since they had started school by then, I guess it was their teachers who kept them busy. But I digress.)

However, during OKYK, the younger kids stayed home and watched “It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”.

They chose the movie themselves. When I asked them why they picked something which they had seen before, they gave two reasons:

  1. It’s long.
  2. It’s funny.

Which, IMHO, are each as good a reason as any.

And in fact, not only were they glued to the screen for the approximate three-hour runtime, but they sat there laughing hysterically for the entire duration…


!שבת שלום ומבורך


P.S. If you’ve never watched this classic comedy, now is the time to do so. Trust me. You’ll be very glad that you did! :-)


  1. I've never seen the movie. I wonder if my daughter would like it.

    My sons like bang bang or alien type movies. I can't watch those.

  2. Leora - Shavua tov! It's basically three hours of non-stop slapstick comedy. It's not exactly subtle or sophisticated humor, but one can't help but laugh as one watches it...


Feel free to leave a comment.