Pages

Friday, September 11, 2009

Film Friday: It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World Edition

As the summer vacation drew to a close, YZG took all the kids on a yom keif (literally, a “fun day” or a “day of fun”). Actually, to be precise, he took them on two separate yemei keif – one for the older kids and one for the younger ones.

The older kids’ yom keif (i.e. OKYK in OurShiputzim-speak) involved lunch at a pizza shop and then going to see the latest Harry Potter movie.

The younger kids’ yom keif (YKYK, obviously) began with visits to not one, not two, but – count ‘em! – three playgrounds and ended with lunch at a pizza shop. (Do you detect a theme?)

I got to stay home and work both times. (Hey, someone had to pay for all that pizza… ;-))

The older kids kept themselves busy during YKYK. (Actually, since they had started school by then, I guess it was their teachers who kept them busy. But I digress.)

However, during OKYK, the younger kids stayed home and watched “It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World”.

They chose the movie themselves. When I asked them why they picked something which they had seen before, they gave two reasons:

  1. It’s long.
  2. It’s funny.

Which, IMHO, are each as good a reason as any.

And in fact, not only were they glued to the screen for the approximate three-hour runtime, but they sat there laughing hysterically for the entire duration…

smile_teeth

!שבת שלום ומבורך

__________

P.S. If you’ve never watched this classic comedy, now is the time to do so. Trust me. You’ll be very glad that you did! :-)

2 comments:

  1. I've never seen the movie. I wonder if my daughter would like it.

    My sons like bang bang or alien type movies. I can't watch those.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leora - Shavua tov! It's basically three hours of non-stop slapstick comedy. It's not exactly subtle or sophisticated humor, but one can't help but laugh as one watches it...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.