Pages

Monday, January 20, 2014

What we’ve been up to

Seeing as how I’ve been shamelessly neglecting this poor blog (for a change…) in recent weeks, you’ve probably been wondering what the Shiputzim family has been up to.

Here, then, are a number of vignettes, which should give you some idea of what’s been going on here in TRLEOOB*:

Scene #1

The Ulpanistit: [walks in the door at about noon]

Me: “Why are you home so early?

The Ulpanistit: [surprised at the silly question] “Because we got our report cards today!

Me: [shows my oleh roots again] “So?

The Ulpanistit: [can’t believe that her mother is this ignorant] “So we NEVER finish after twelve on the day we get teudot…

Me: [reluctantly concedes defeat and chalks this up to #yetAnotherThingI’llNeverUnderstand]

Scene #2

Me: [makes a sarcastic comment about the Shminist’s countless free periods]

The Shminist:It’s your own fault, you know. Don’t forget that you’re the one who paid extra for me to take dovrei Anglit classes and do the 5-point English bagrut in 10th grade.

Me:Yeah, that part I remember.

The Shminist:Well, you should thank the yeshiva. They threw in two years of free periods at no extra charge…

Me: [knows that there’s something wrong with his logic, but just can’t put my finger on it]

Scene #3

Certain Shiputzim Child:We have a peulah in fifteen minutes, and I need to bring a chatif.

Me:Why did you wait until the last minute to tell me?

Certain Shiputzim Child: [indignant]I didn’t wait until the last minute! It’s just that I only remembered about it now…

Open-mouthed smile

What has YOUR family been up to lately?

_____________

*TRLEOOB=the real life equivalent of our blog

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like the good old days. My two eldest also did English in the 10th grade, and I remember paying extra.
    Now my kids are grown up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Batya - Many schools now make the English speakers wait until 11th grade to take the bagrut.

      Delete

Feel free to leave a comment.