Pages

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Winner takes all

Don’t let the title fool you.

This isn’t yet another dreidel post.

Instead, it’s about that other popular Chanukah game - the one that we here in TRLEOOB* refer to as “Who Won?”

As everyone knows, dreidel is a game of chance, which involves at least a modicum of skill. (I mean, one does have to know how to spin it.)

In contrast, “Who Won?” is based on… pure luck.

Sounds thrilling, no?

Here’s how you play:

  • 1) Each night of Chanukah, the players note whose candles lasted the longest. The player with the longest lasting candle is declared that night’s winner.
  • 2) Some families – like ours – have two winners each night: one for the people who light on candles and one for those who light on oil.

Yes, it really is that simple!

In the interest of full disclosure, I should admit that I don’t quite see the game’s attraction. But since a significant portion of the Shiputzim family plays “Who Won?” every. single. night. of Chanukah, I have to assume that this game is way more exciting than it appears.

So, go ahead and try it at home. I’m sure that you’ll be very glad you did.

After all, “Who Won?” provides, uh, seconds of enjoyment for the entire family…

smile_teeth

!חנוכה שמח

_____________

*TRLEOOB=the real life equivalent of our blog

2 comments:

  1. I thought of you and your family when my family looked at the chanukiot on the last night. My eldest son won. I would have thought my husband's would have lasted the longest, as he used Shabbat candles on the last night (and oil on the other nights).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leora - Mazal tov to your eldest son on his, ahem, "victory"...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.