Pages

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Color me confused

Helloooo, Our Shiputzim fans!

A number of readers have asked me why I haven’t blogged about the IY”H upcoming bar mitzvah.

Of course, there was this post about the hanachat tefillin, but that doesn’t discuss any of the bar mitzvah preparations – which, as you can imagine, have been occupying a great deal of our time here in TRLEOOB (the real life equivalent of our blog).

And so, on that note, here’s a short bar mitzvah-related vignette for your reading pleasure:

I was picking out napkins, and according to the list, one of the available colors is “ירוק תפוח” - “apple green”.

Curious, I asked the vendor if he knew what that meant.

He didn’t have any samples, and so, instead, he looked around the room for something that would match that description. Apparently, “apple green” is not as common as one might have thought, because he couldn’t seem to find anything that would fit the bill.

However, ever resourceful, he pointed to a blue-covered book - Nechama Leibowitz’s “Iyunim B’Sefer Breishit”, to be precise – and said, “Well, it’s just like that color over there… only in green!”

That certainly clears that up, doesn’t it?

smile_regular

11 comments:

  1. Love it! I once sent a housepainter to look for the color I wanted with a tichel of mine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea for a color swatch! It's amazing how many uses one can find for one's old tichels. For example, they inevitably find their way into at least one of my kids' Purim costumes each year...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite color tool:

    Meyer Color Blender

    Of course, it gives the color names in hex...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Like a Granny Smith maybe...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Leora - Very cool! My kids and I had fun playing with that tool. (Maybe I should have asked the vendor to convert "apple green" to hex? :-) )

    Ilana-Davita - That would make sense...

    Shabbat Shalom.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We had the same coversation with said caterer when we went to pick out napkins and tablecloths for our bar mitzvah but luckily I was wearing a shirt in that exact color-how fortuitous is that...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fortuitous indeed, because now you can tell me if "apple green" is a nice color! :-)
    I mean, on one hand, IIRC (and please correct me if I'm wrong) you didn't use it at your bar mitzvah. But, on the other hand, you apparently like it enough to own a shirt in that color...

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's not a bad color, but we wanted something more formal. However, I saw it at someone else's bar mitzvah where they had paper plates in "apple green" and pale blue and it all looked very nice together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the clarification.

    It actually works out well, because - as you know - by its very nature, our affair will be somewhat less formal I"YH.

    ReplyDelete
  10. “Well, it’s just like that color over there… only in green!”

    Major LOL!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. ALN - Since this happened, that line has become something of a family catch phrase. We've all been going around saying variations on the theme...
    :-)

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment.